When I was suffering from excruciating pain and the doctors couldn’t find what was wrong with me, they chalked up to my being stressed and told me to stop stressing. But unfortunately, that is easier said than done. If I could stop stressing, I would. I don’t know anybody who wakes up and says, “Hmmm… I can’t wait to get stressed out today. Yay!” Nobody that I know.
Also, how does one escape stress. Stress is an everyday occurrence. You stress when you’re in traffic. You stress when your alarm doesn’t go off. You stress when your child gets sick. I can go on and on. So although not stressing is a wonderful way of curing many ailments, it’s not an option.
What is an option, is learning how to manage it. How you react to everyday stressors make a big difference from being ill to being healthy (mentally, spiritually, physically). Below is a list of simple things that you can do to help manage your stress.
- Most people do not breathe properly. If you catch yourself sighing a lot, you may need to learn to breathe deeper and more effectively. Click here to learn how to breathe.
- Seems difficult but I’m not telling you to do crossfit or run a marathon. Exercise can be as simple as walking everyday, jumping on a trampoline (great for lymph detox), and playing with you Xbox Kinect.
- Find a physical activity that you enjoy and do it regularly.
- Endorphins are the happy hormones!
- Laughter is a cure for almost anything
- Find a movie that makes you laugh every time.
- Hold a pencil between your teeth
- This makes the muscles in your face mimic the same muscle movements as smiling. Studies have shown that this can trick the brain into thinking that you are happy and releases happy hormones that will eventually make it true.
- Be sure to surround yourself with those who make you laugh
- Eat GABA rich foods
- GABA is an amino acid that calms the nervous system down
- It will decrease your chances of being “wired”
- GABA rich foods are almonds, halibut, walnuts, mackerel, oats, walnuts, rice bran, any fermented foods (sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir,etc.)
- Get acupuncture 🙂